Over the Easter weekend and the following week,we ‘did’ the floor of my son’s bedroom.It was horribly wobbly and some bits of the floor gave way a little underfoot, and as my lad is adult and not small… we worried about just how safe it was.
And our son is keen to decorate his room. Before we moved here, when he was still a kid, we had promised we would decorate his room straight away, because we bought a decrepit house and had to go back on that promise due to other more pressing things getting in the way first. He was ace about that, and waited and helped with other projects. He stripped the old lady style wall paper – not hard in places as it was hanging off and badly put up in the first place, to reveal many patches of different plaster and lack of plaster etc. He was a bit previous with that, and had to live with this new decor all this time, and frankly it looked like something you see on DIY SOS, when the presenter says ‘how can a family live in this?’ – we like to watch that program and chortle.
So we moved him out, and squeezed him and his furniture and all his possessions into the rest of the house – no mean feat, and pulled up the carpet to reveal the full glory of the ‘floor’ that was in place. A combination of a distinct lack of joists, thanks to the beetles, and non floor grade board thanks to cowboy builders was the problem. Along one side of the floor, there was no joist to meet the edge of the floorboards, so a series of L brackets were used to attach the floor to the skirting board. In other words, that side of the floor was held up by the skirting board, which in turn was attached to a lath and plaster wall.
Anyhow..it’s all good now, with adequate joists and flooring, it is the most solid and straight floor we have in the upstairs of our home now.
Unfortunate that himself slipped off a joist with one foot whilst putting the very last board down – and he crashed the one leg through the hall ceiling – and it would seem has possibly cracked or badly bruised a rib. The oddity is I was sure it would be me who did that… poor him, but he will live, and no one was standing below when he did it, and he missed the electrics so…. could be worse!
The interesting thing about house renovation is seeing some of the history of the house. We have what is left of the original roof in our attic, inside a much newer roof (although these things are relative… the current roof is old and needs replacing really..), The old old roof shows when the house started life about 400 years ago, as a two up two down, and a line in the old plaster all around the room, lining up with the walk in cupboard shows the original height of the upstairs rooms, before the back of the house was build perhaps 200 years later The bedrooms would have been pretty low - and this perhaps explains why the downstairs rooms have low ceilings and the upstairs are really tall (because the house was extended upwards as well as out)… And the reason our house is not listed (yay!) because it has been changed and altered all along – and we are just part of the ongoing story.
Our contribution has been to put in namby pamby strong safe features.